Monday, February 15, 2010

Protrait of a Peasant (Patience Escalier)

Protrait of a Peasant (Patience Escalier) >>
Vicent van Gogh
Oil Cavas
 
I was so excited to go to the Norton Simon Museum, because they have a lot of old masters work. Like one of my favorite Vincent Van Gogh. I have never seen any of his paintings in real life and I was so excited when I finally saw a few of his paintings at this museum. I never thought this painting were just in Pasadena, I had always heard they were in Washington or New York until now.
This painting is called Portrait of a Peasant (patience Escalier), a oil painting on canvas,1888. I over heard many people around me who was looking at this painting said "this was a self portrait of Vincent van Gogh." Then walked away without reading the description. However, Van Gogh painted this painting when he was in Arles, and this man in this painting is one of two Patience Escalier, a old gardener.
The brush stroke and paints were so unique and beautiful. I was literally pressed up like a inch away from the glass frame looking at the brush stroke just pops out of the painting. I was very impressed at the details and color he chose to used. The man looks so real and I could not believe that no one bought any one of his painting when he was alive.
The Rosenberg Criteria can't fit in this painting because the strokes of the brush is not perfect and does not match one another. No one can mimic Van Gogh works, so the criteria to be Van Gogh is nearly impossible to follow. The colors are so nicely blended together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home