Monday, February 15, 2010

Desiree Engel

<< "Kiwi"
Desiree Engel
$450 

The "Kiwi" was the first glazed ceramic piece that I came across when I walked around the gallery. It caught my eyes instantly because it feel like I can make something just like this if I had clay. However, then I realize that it cost $450. So I stood there thinking about this piece, why would it cost so much. I realize that, this simple looking "Kiwi" just looks very simple. But, what looks simple does not always means its easy to make. It might take me a month to make it look this perfect and realistic. She spend time on this work and put in every detail to make the final product.
Desiree Engel works were mainly Glazed Ceramics. She used edible objects as still art for her art works. As a teacher and the 14 years of experience, her works turned out very Beautiful. The different glazed ceramics has a edgy feel to it when I viewed each one. It was incredible because the color of each individual pieces and how she worked with the clay made the object look so realistic. I enjoyed her work very much and having a chance to talk to her in person.
I really like Engel "Pomegranate and Guava" which cost $500. The color spilling from the pomegranate looks so rich. The seeds through this picture could not capture every detail of this piece. However, the guava does not really look like actual guavas to me. I have never seen guavas so small.


^"Pomegranate and Guava"
Desiree Engel
$ 500



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home